Are Alocasia Toxic To Dogs? [Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention]

Dogs can be notorious for eating anything that isn’t nailed down. So if you’ve got a dog, there’s a very high probability that it’ll try to eat something poisonous. It is therefore common for dog and plant owners to ask “Is Alocasia toxic to dogs?” and “Is Alocasia dog friendly?”.

The ASPCA reports that Alocasia is toxic to dogs as it contains insoluble calcium oxalates. If ingested, this plant can cause oral irritation, swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, and vomiting.

It’s no secret that dogs are picky eaters when it comes to food. Because of this, poisoning in dogs is rare. But puppies and youthful, curious dogs may be more prone to consuming harmful plants, especially those found in homes.

This article explores the toxicity of Alocasia and the effects that it can have on dogs. You will find out more as you read on.

are alocasia toxic to dogs

Are Alocasia Toxic to Dogs?

Alocasia, like other subspecies of the Araceae family, contains insoluble oxalate crystals. If this plant is consumed or chewed, it will cause mouth and gastrointestinal tract discomfort due to the penetration of tissue. Breathing becomes challenging when upper airway inflammation sometimes occurs.

Poisonous Alocasia is characterized by long, heart-shaped, and red stalks, according to the North Carolina State University’s official site. It is very easy to recognize toxic Alocasia veins as they are white to pale yellow with small clusters of poisonous blooms.

Regardless of whether some of these plants’ foliage contains toxins or not, all parts of them should be considered hazardous. If you suspect your dog has come into contact with the Alocasia, take them to a veterinarian immediately.

How Poisonous Is Alocasia?

The Alocasia plant is highly poisonous. There are sharp edges to the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals in the Alocasia plant, causing them to irritate anything that comes into contact with them. Your dogs may develop various skin infections and rashes if they touch the plant in any way.

There can be serious health problems associated with ingesting the sap or juice from Alocasia. Symptoms can manifest immediately or within 1-2 hours after ingestion and last for 2-3 weeks.

Mass consumption is also associated with cardiac abnormalities, dilated pupils, comas, and death. However, it is uncommon to consume large quantities of the plant due to its bitter taste.

are alocasia toxic to dogs

Alocasia Effect On Dogs

Alocasia can cause a variety of problems in dogs, depending on the quantity consumed. Therefore, it is important to check the plant and determine how much it has been consumed. Next, look for changes in behavior and diagnostic symptoms. You’ll usually see physical symptoms within two hours of consumption.

Here are some symptoms of alocasia poisoning in dogs:

  • Increased salivation
  • Irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth and swelling
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Stomach pain, diarrhea and shortness of breath
  • Tachycardia in severe poisoning
  • Problems with the kidneys
  • First increased, then decreased urine flow
  • In the worst case, death of the dog due to respiratory paralysis

    In the event that you think or see your dog eating or chewing any parts of the Alocasia plant, you should take him to a veterinarian for necessary medications.

    Depending on the severity of the symptoms and the amount consumed, the dog’s treatment will vary. Early diagnosis and fewer toxic effects result in easier treatment.

    For safety reasons, keep your Alocasia out of reach of dogs.

    alocasia effect on dogs

    What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Alocasia?

    The most effective way to prevent Alocasia from poisoning your dogs is to keep it away from them. The curiosity of dogs is similar to that of children, and they may attempt to lick and smell anything new to them. It’s your responsibility as a plant owner to protect your dog from toxic plants.

    Thankfully, Alocasia’s taste isn’t so sweet that dogs would want to nibble at it in high quantities, making it relatively rare for dogs to consume it in large amounts.

    If you notice your dogs ingesting or coming into contact with them, please take the following steps:

    • First, keep an eye out for any signs of poisoning in your dogs.
    • Make sure there are no leaves or parts of the plant left in your dog’s mouth.
    • Give them milk or some other liquid to drink.
    • Consult a veterinarian immediately if you see complications such as a swollen mouth, breathing problems, or diarrhea.
    • Give the vet all the details of the accident.
    • During the examination, the vet will remove any leftover parts from inside the dog’s mouth, as well as wash and clean them.
    • The vet will then do tests to see how the dog’s body functions and if the poison affected it. Blood tests and stool tests may be ordered based on the condition of your dog.
    • If the symptoms of poisoning are mild, such as itching, mouth infection, or diarrhea, they can be treated easily within days.
    • However, if the consumption was in higher quantities, which is rare, it might complicate matters further. If that’s the case, your veterinarian will explain how the treatment will proceed.

    After your dog returns home, make sure he has a quiet place to rest. It is recommended to keep your dog in a cage overnight to avoid overexertion.

    Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian, and make sure that your dog drinks plenty of water while its digestive system is returning to normal.

    The most severe symptoms of Alocasia poisoning usually disappear within the first 24 hours, but the illness can last up to two weeks.

    How To Keep Dogs Away From Alocasia

    Pet dogs can be naughty, and they’re difficult to train. They don’t listen to their owners, so if you have an Alocasia and a dog at home, it can be dangerous.

    To keep your dogs from coming into contact with your Alocasia, here’s some advice:

    • In general, dogs do not like citrus fruits. To keep the dog away from the Alocasia plant, place lemon or orange peels around it or on the soil.
    • Although it may be difficult, teach your dogs not to approach the Alocasia.
    • You can spray the dogs with water whenever they get near the Alocasia.
    • There are some sprays on the market with strong scents that might repel dogs.
    • Toys for your dogs are a great way to keep them entertained. They’ll stay away from the plant that way.
    • Put the plant somewhere your dogs won’t be able to get to it.
    are alocasia dog friendly

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Is Alocasia toxic to touch?

    The Alocasia plant is very attractive, but it can be dangerous if mishandled. Calcium oxalate crystals are found on all parts of the plant. When touched, the stems or leaves can irritate the skin and cause itchiness and a rash.

    What if my dog eats Alocasia?

    If your dog eats Alocasia, monitor your dog for signs of poisoning. Symptoms to watch for are excessive drooling, vomiting, and mouth inflammation. A visit to the vet is not necessary if your dog seems fine and is eating as usual. However, if your dog exhibits any symptoms of poisoning, seek immediate veterinary attention.

    Can dogs be around Alocasia?

    Alocasia is one of those plants that are toxic to dogs. You should never leave your dog near this plant. Even if your dog doesn’t eat any of the leaves, it may still come into contact with them through its fur. Keep your dog safe from Alocasia poisoning by keeping him away from the plant at all times.

    Will Alocasia kill my dog?

    While Alocasia is toxic to dogs, it doesn’t usually cause death unless consumed in large quantities. Since it tastes bitter, most dogs won’t eat it unless they’re starving. Even if they do try to eat it, they usually only eat small portions at once.

    However, if your dog does accidentally ingest large amounts of Alocasia, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, seizures, coma and death. You should call your vet right away if your dog displays symptoms after coming into contact with any part of the plant.