Is Alocasia Black Velvet Poisonous? [Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention]

Some pets are notorious for eating anything that isn’t nailed down. So if you’ve got a pet, there’s a very high probability that it’ll try to eat something poisonous. It is therefore common for pet and plant owners to ask “Is Alocasia Black Velvet Poisonous?”.

The ASPCA reports that Alocasia Black Velvet is toxic to pets as it contains insoluble calcium oxalates. If ingested, this plant can cause oral irritation, swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, and vomiting.

Some pets are picky eaters when it comes to food. Because of this, poisoning in pets is rare. But young and curious pets may be more prone to consuming harmful plants, especially those found in homes.

This article explores the toxicity of Alocasia Black Velvet and the effects that it can have on pets. You will find out more as you read on.

is alocasia black velvet poisonous

Related Post:
100+ Alocasia Varieties With Names and Pictures

Is Alocasia Black Velvet Poisonous?

Alocasia Black Velvet, like other subspecies of the Araceae family, contains insoluble oxalate crystals. If this plant is consumed or chewed, it will cause mouth and gastrointestinal tract discomfort due to the penetration of tissue. Breathing becomes challenging when upper airway inflammation sometimes occurs.

Poisonous Alocasia Black Velvet is characterized by long, heart-shaped, and red stalks, according to the North Carolina State University’s official site. It is very easy to recognize toxic Alocasia Black Velvet veins as they are white to pale yellow with small clusters of poisonous blooms.

Regardless of whether some of these plants’ foliage contains toxins or not, all parts of them should be considered hazardous. If you suspect your pet has come into contact with the Alocasia Black Velvet, take them to a veterinarian immediately.

How Poisonous Is Alocasia Black Velvet?

The Alocasia Black Velvet plant is highly poisonous. There are sharp edges to the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals in the Alocasia Black Velvet plant, causing them to irritate anything that comes into contact with them. Your pets may develop various skin infections and rashes if they touch the plant in any way.

There can be serious health problems associated with ingesting the sap or juice from Alocasia Black Velvet. Symptoms can manifest immediately or within 1-2 hours after ingestion and last for 2-3 weeks.

Mass consumption is also associated with cardiac abnormalities, dilated pupils, comas, and death. However, it is uncommon to consume large quantities of the plant due to its bitter taste.

Symptoms of Alocasia Black Velvet Poisoning in Pets

Alocasia Black Velvet can cause a variety of problems in pets, depending on the quantity consumed. Therefore, it is important to check the plant and determine how much it has been consumed. Next, look for changes in behavior and diagnostic symptoms. You’ll usually see physical symptoms within two hours of consumption.

Here are some symptoms of Alocasia Black Velvet poisoning in pets:

  • An obvious sign of pain or irritation is shaking the head violently, pawing at the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting, and barfing.
  • Meowing, whining, or yelping abnormally loudly or weakly
  • Throat swelling
  • Shortness of breath due to restricted oxygen intake from severe swelling
  • Inflammation of the mouth, tongue, and throat, as well as distress, diarrhea, and inappetence.
  • Dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and shock (if your pet vomits or diarrheas heavily)
  • Dysphagia (inability to swallow)
  • Severe gastrointestinal problems can occur at higher doses.
  • A large amount of poison will cause more severe ailments when absorbed into the body. Any or all of these can occur, along with renal failure, convulsions, coma, and death.

In the event that you think or see your pet eating or chewing any parts of the Alocasia Black Velvet plant, you should take him to a veterinarian for necessary medications.

Depending on the severity of the symptoms and the amount consumed, the pet’s treatment will vary. Early diagnosis and fewer toxic effects result in easier treatment.

For safety reasons, keep your Alocasia Black Velvet out of reach of pets.

is alocasia black velvet poisonous

What Should You Do If Your Pet Eats Alocasia Black Velvet?

The most effective way to prevent Alocasia Black Velvet from poisoning your pets is to keep it away from them. The curiosity of pets is similar to that of children, and they may attempt to lick and smell anything new to them. It’s your responsibility as a plant owner to protect your pet from toxic plants.

Thankfully, Alocasia Black Velvet’s taste isn’t so sweet that pets would want to nibble at it in high quantities, making it relatively rare for pets to consume it in large amounts.

If you notice your pets ingesting or coming into contact with them, please take the following steps:

  • First, keep an eye out for any signs of poisoning in your pets.
  • Make sure there are no leaves or parts of the plant left in your pet’s mouth.
  • Give them milk or some other liquid to drink.
  • Consult a veterinarian immediately if you see complications such as a swollen mouth, breathing problems, or diarrhea.
  • Give the vet all the details of the accident.
  • During the examination, the vet will remove any leftover parts from inside the pet’s mouth, as well as wash and clean them.
  • The vet will then do tests to see how the pet’s body functions and if the poison affected it. Blood tests and stool tests may be ordered based on the condition of your pet.
  • If the symptoms of poisoning are mild, such as itching, mouth infection, or diarrhea, they can be treated easily within days.
  • However, if the consumption was in higher quantities, which is rare, it might complicate matters further. If that’s the case, your veterinarian will explain how the treatment will proceed.

After your pet returns home, make sure he has a quiet place to rest. It is recommended to keep your pet in a cage overnight to avoid overexertion.

Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian, and make sure that your pet drinks plenty of water while its digestive system is returning to normal.

The most severe symptoms of Alocasia Black Velvet poisoning usually disappear within the first 24 hours, but the illness can last up to two weeks.

How To Keep Pets Away From Alocasia Black Velvet

Pets can be naughty, and they’re difficult to train. They don’t listen to their owners, so if you have an Alocasia Black Velvet and a pet at home, it can be dangerous.

To keep your pets from coming into contact with your Alocasia Black Velvet, here’s some advice:

  • Some pets do not like citrus fruits. To keep the pet away from the Alocasia Black Velvet plant, place lemon or orange peels around it or on the soil.
  • Although it may be difficult, teach your pets not to approach the Alocasia Black Velvet.
  • You can spray the pets with water whenever they get near the Alocasia Black Velvet.
  • There are some sprays on the market with strong scents that might repel pets.
  • Toys for your pets are a great way to keep them entertained. They’ll stay away from the plant that way.
  • Put the plant somewhere your pets won’t be able to get to it.
is alocasia black velvet poisonous

Frequently Asked Questions

Is Alocasia Black Velvet poisonous to touch?

The Alocasia Black Velvet plant is very attractive, but it can be dangerous if mishandled. Calcium oxalate crystals are found on all parts of the plant. When touched, the stems or leaves can irritate the skin and cause itchiness and a rash.

What if my pet eats Alocasia Black Velvet?

If your pet eats Alocasia Black Velvet, monitor your pet for signs of poisoning. Symptoms to watch for are excessive drooling, vomiting, and mouth inflammation. A visit to the vet is not necessary if your pet seems fine and is eating as usual. However, if your pet exhibits any symptoms of poisoning, seek immediate veterinary attention.

Can pets be around Alocasia Black Velvet?

Alocasia Black Velvet is one of those plants that are poisonous to pets. You should never leave your pet near this plant. Even if your pet doesn’t eat any of the leaves, it may still come into contact with them through its fur. Keep your pet safe from Alocasia poisoning by keeping them away from the plant at all times.

Will Alocasia Black Velvet kill my pet?

While Alocasia Black Velvet is poisonous to pets, it doesn’t usually cause death unless consumed in large quantities. Since it tastes bitter, most pets won’t eat it unless they’re starving. Even if they do try to eat it, they usually only eat small portions at once.

However, if your pet does accidentally ingest large amounts of Alocasia Black Velvet, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, seizures, coma and death. You should call your vet right away if your pet displays symptoms after coming into contact with any part of the plant.