Is Alocasia Pet Friendly? [Cats, Dogs & Small Animals]

Certain pets can be notorious for eating anything that isn’t nailed down. So if you’ve got a pet, there’s a very high probability that it’ll try to eat something poisonous. It is therefore common for pet and plant owners to ask “Is Alocasia toxic to pets?” and “Is Alocasia pet friendly?”.

The ASPCA reports that Alocasia is toxic to pets as it contains insoluble calcium oxalates. If ingested, this plant can cause oral irritation, swelling of the lips, tongue, and mouth, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, and vomiting.

Some pets are picky eaters when it comes to food. Because of this, poisoning in pets is rare. But young and youthful, curious pets may be more prone to consuming harmful plants, especially those found in homes.

This article explores the toxicity of Alocasia and the effects that it can have on pets. You will find out more as you read on.

is alocasia pet friendly

Is Alocasia Pet Friendly?

Alocasia, like other subspecies of the Araceae family, contains insoluble oxalate crystals. If this plant is consumed or chewed, it will cause mouth and gastrointestinal tract discomfort due to the penetration of tissue. Breathing becomes challenging when upper airway inflammation sometimes occurs.

Poisonous Alocasia is characterized by long, heart-shaped, and red stalks, according to the North Carolina State University’s official site. It is very easy to recognize toxic Alocasia veins as they are white to pale yellow with small clusters of poisonous blooms.

Regardless of whether some of these plants’ foliage contains toxins or not, all parts of them should be considered hazardous. If you suspect your pet has come into contact with the Alocasia, take them to a veterinarian immediately.

How Poisonous Is Alocasia To Pets?

The Alocasia plant is highly poisonous. There are sharp edges to the insoluble calcium oxalate crystals in the Alocasia plant, causing them to irritate anything that comes into contact with them. Your pets may develop various skin infections and rashes if they touch the plant in any way.

There can be serious health problems associated with ingesting the sap or juice from Alocasia. Symptoms can manifest immediately or within 1-2 hours after ingestion and last for 2-3 weeks.

Mass consumption is also associated with cardiac abnormalities, dilated pupils, comas, and death. However, it is uncommon to consume large quantities of the plant due to its bitter taste.

Alocasia Poisoning in Pets

Alocasia can cause a variety of problems in pets, depending on the quantity consumed. Dogs and cats as well as parakeets and small rodents such as rabbits and guinea pigs are at risk. Therefore, it is important to check the plant and determine how much it has been consumed. Next, look for changes in behavior and diagnostic symptoms. You’ll usually see physical symptoms within two hours of consumption.

Symptoms of Alocasia Poisoning in Dogs

  • Increased salivation
  • Irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth and swelling
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Stomach pain, diarrhea and shortness of breath
  • Tachycardia in severe poisoning
  • Problems with the kidneys
  • First increased, then decreased urine flow
  • In the worst case, death of the dog due to respiratory paralysis

Related Post:
Are Alocasia Toxic To Dogs? [Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention]

is alocasia pet friendly

Symptoms of Alocasia Poisoning in Cats

  • Affected cat salivates profusely
  • Keeps shaking his head
  • Strokes the mouth repeatedly with the paw
  • Tries to drink frequently
  • Can’t eat, loss of voice
  • Later diarrhea and exhaustion
  • Uncertainty when walking occurs
  • Muscle tremors, paralysis, cramps and cardiac arrhythmia
  • After a few days, kidney inflammation up to kidney failure

Related Post:
Is Alocasia Toxic To Cats? [Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention]

In the event that you think or see your pet eating or chewing any parts of the Alocasia plant, you should take them to a veterinarian for necessary medications.

Depending on the severity of the symptoms and the amount consumed, the pet’s treatment will vary. Early diagnosis and fewer toxic effects result in easier treatment.

For safety reasons, keep your Alocasia out of reach of pets.

Alocasia Poisoning in Parakeets

Poisoning can also occur in parakeets, particularly those that are free to fly indoors or otherwise have access to these plants. These can manifest themselves in shortness of breath, diarrhea, irritation of the mucous membranes and difficulty swallowing, but also in the form of bleeding and damage to the kidneys.

Signs of internal bleeding are brown or bloody droppings from the bird. These animals should also be taken to the vet as soon as possible.

Alocasia Poisoning in Small Rodents

Unfortunately, the assumption that rabbits or guinea pigs instinctively avoid poisonous plants is not correct. If an animal is starved or undersupplied due to poor husbandry, it tries to compensate for this deficiency in some way. This includes eating toxic substances or parts of the Alocasia plant. This can also happen if the animal is bored or the food has been heavily processed. That is if the rodents can easily get to the poisonous Alocasia or its fallen leaves.

Symptoms of Alocasia Small Rodents

  • Frequent and increased salivation
  • Noticeable thirst, increased drinking
  • Bloated stomach, diarrhea or constipation
  • Clearly changed pupils
  • Fever and drowsiness
  • Muscle tremors, paralysis, cramps, rapid breathing
  • Nosebleeds, blood in the urine

Rabbits and guinea pigs in particular are more prone to poisoning because they cannot vomit. So they cannot get toxic substances ingested out of their bodies naturally.

What Should You Do If Your Pet Eats Alocasia?

The most effective way to prevent Alocasia from poisoning your pets is to keep it away from them. It’s your responsibility as a plant owner to protect your pet from toxic plants.

Thankfully, Alocasia’s taste isn’t so sweet that pets would want to nibble at it in high quantities, making it relatively rare for pets to consume it in large amounts.

If you notice your pet ingesting or coming into contact with them, please take the following steps:

  • First, keep an eye out for any signs of poisoning in your pet.
  • Make sure there are no leaves or parts of the plant left in your pet’s mouth.
  • Consult a veterinarian immediately if you see complications such as a swollen mouth, breathing problems, or diarrhea.
  • Give the vet all the details of the accident.
  • During the examination, the vet will remove any leftover parts from inside the pet’s mouth, as well as wash and clean them.
  • The vet will then do tests to see how the pet’s body functions and if the poison affected it. Blood tests and stool tests may be ordered based on the condition of your pet.
  • If the symptoms of poisoning are mild, such as itching, mouth infection, or diarrhea, they can be treated easily within days.
  • However, if the consumption was in higher quantities, which is rare, it might complicate matters further. If that’s the case, your veterinarian will explain how the treatment will proceed.

After your pet returns home, make sure they have a quiet place to rest. Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian, and make sure that your pet drinks plenty of water while its digestive system is returning to normal.

The most severe symptoms of Alocasia poisoning usually disappear within the first 24 hours, but the illness can last up to two weeks.

alocasia poisoning in cats

How To Keep Pets Away From Alocasia

To keep your pets from coming into contact with your Alocasia, here’s some advice:

  • In general, pets like cats and dogs do not like citrus fruits. To keep the pet away from the Alocasia plant, place lemon or orange peels around it or on the soil.
  • Although it may be difficult, teach your pet not to approach the Alocasia.
  • You can spray the pet with water whenever they get near the Alocasia.
  • There are some sprays on the market with strong scents that might repel pets.
  • Toys for your pet are a great way to keep them entertained. They’ll stay away from the plant that way.
  • Put the plant somewhere your pet won’t be able to get to it.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is Alocasia toxic to touch?

The Alocasia plant is very attractive, but it can be dangerous if mishandled. Calcium oxalate crystals are found on all parts of the plant. When touched, the stems or leaves can irritate the skin and cause itchiness and a rash.

What if my pet eats Alocasia?

If your pet eats Alocasia, monitor your pet for signs of poisoning. Symptoms to watch for are excessive drooling, vomiting, and mouth inflammation. A visit to the vet is not necessary if your pet seems fine and is eating as usual. However, if your pet exhibits any symptoms of poisoning, seek immediate veterinary attention.

Can pets be around Alocasia?

Alocasia is one of those plants that are not pet-friendly. You should never leave your pet near this plant. Even if your pet doesn’t eat any of the leaves, they may still come into contact with them through their fur. Keep your pet safe from Alocasia poisoning by keeping them away from the plant at all times.

Will Alocasia kill my pet?

While Alocasia is toxic to pets, it doesn’t usually cause death unless consumed in large quantities. Since it tastes bitter, most pets won’t eat it unless they’re starving. Even if they do try to eat it, they usually only eat small portions at once.

However, if your pet does accidentally ingest large amounts of Alocasia, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, seizures, coma and death. You should call your vet right away if your pet displays symptoms after coming into contact with any part of the plant.